The Family Clinic

FAMILY MEDICINE and URGENT CARE

Health Care Provider 

Walk-Ins are accepted at The Family Clinic in Starkville

501 Hospital Road Starkville, MS 39759

​662-323-3162

Monday-Friday 8:00-5:00


Call Us:  662.323.3162

History of The Family Clinic


Dr Leonard Brandon founded The Family Clinic in 1954.  He practiced alone for many years moving from one spot to another until settling at 305 University Drive until 1974.  This location was located where the Cadence Bank drive though is at this time.   In 1974 he built the first clinic on Hospital Road, completing it just prior to the opening of Oktibbeha County Hospital, now known as OCH Regional Medical Center.

He grew up in poor circumstances on the family farm in Arcola, MS.  He attributed the driving force for entry into Medical School to that of his brother having a medical disorder for which little could be done.  He matriculated at Millsaps College with his education interrupted by his service in the Army during World War II.  He was admitted to Columbia School of Medicine in New York City, and subsequently completed a rotating internship at Hartford Hospital in Connecticut, and a second year in Internal Medicine at Vanderbilt.

 It was then that he moved to and established his practice in Family Medicine in Starkville, MS in 1954.  At the time, establishing a practice in Starkville was difficult given the longstanding practices in the community at the time. Due to lack of experience and formal business training, building a practice was a slow and time consuming effort.  However, he succeeded by being available to his patients and providing an extensive array of services including obstetrics, neonatal, pediatric, adult, surgical and elder care to his patients, even if it meant riding on the back of a tractor to get to an injured patient in the field.  He was joined in practice by Dr. Barbara Fleetwood in 1982, who remains in practice to this day.  Dr. Leonard Brandon served in many positions in organized medicine as well as in multiple community and church committee roles.  Then joined by his son in 1992, he continued to practice full time until 2002, retiring in 2008 after serving Starkville for 54 years. 


The clinic was expanded to its current size in 1997 and now houses 12 examining rooms, a minor procedure room, plain film x-facilities and in-house lab for rapid testing with daily  access to a reference lab with an extensive array of tests available.  Additionally, we work closely with a physician pathology group for performance of tissue sampling including pap smears, skin biopsy and skin excision specimens.  Ample waiting area space is available for your comfort, including a Jack in the Bean Stalk mural for the children.


We continue to strive to provide as full array of services as is reasonable and possible.  We strive to make ourselves available for our patient's healthcare with a goal of somewhat of a "one stop shop"  for most of your needs.  We currently are served by qualified array  of physicians, nurse practitioners, licensed practical nurses, certified medical assistants, radiology assistants,  a surgical assistant, lab personnel, and front office personnel to deal with the many intricacies of healthcare billing.